I am a mechanical engineer at the PhD level with specific interest in experimental fluid mechanics. Currently, I have a post-doctoral research position in experimental fluid mechanics at the Universität der Bundeswehr München, under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. rer. nat. habil. Christian J. Kähler. My current research activities involve the analysis of turbulent boundary layers with pressure gradient at high Reynolds numbers with high resolution, time resolved, camera measurement techniques such as PTV and PIV. This project is funded by a priority program SPP 1881 from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG).
I was born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania in 1988. I received my Bachelor of Science with Honors in Physics from Moravian College in May 2010. Promptly after my undergraduate studies I joined the Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics Department in the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering at Lehigh University where I was awarded a RCEAS Fellowship for the Fall 2010 semester. I completed the requirements for a Masters of Engineering in January 2013. In the fall of 2013, I was a Rossin Doctoral Fellow at Lehigh University. I successfully defended my dissertation titled “Flow Structure on Unsteady Maneuvering Wings” in January 2015 and received my PhD in Mechanical Engineering diploma from Lehigh University in May 2015. My doctoral program was performed under the supervision of Dr. Donald Rockwell and funded by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LinkedIn: Matthew Bross
- ResearchGate: Matthew Bross
- Universität der Bundeswehr München: Fluid Mechanics and Aerodynamics Institute
- Lehigh University: Fluids Lab
- Experimental flow visualization, 2D and 3D PIV and PTV.
- Coherent structures in turbulent boundary layers.
- Bio-inspired flight pertaining to Micro-Air-Vehicle design.
- Three-dimensional flow over low aspect ratio wings during fast fast forward or rising flight
- Three-dimensional development of flow over combined pitching and rotating wing
- PhD Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University 2015
- M.E. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University 2013
- B.S. With Honors in Physics, Moravian College 2010
- McKenna C., Bross M. & Rockwell D. 2017 Structure of streamwise-oriented vortex incident upon a wing. J. Fluid Mech. 816, 306–330.
- Bross M. & Kähler C.J. 2016 Time-Resolved 3D-PTV Analysis of Near-Wall Reverse Flow Events in APG Turbulent Boundary Layers. In 18th Inter. Symp. on the App. of Laser and Imaging Tech. to Fluid Mech., Lisbon, Portugal., July 4-7.
- Bross, M. & Rockwell, D. 2015 Three-dimensional flow structure along simultaneously pitching and rotating wings: effect of pitch rate. Exp. in Fluids 56, 82.
- Bross, M. & Rockwell, D. 2014 Flow structure on a simultaneously pitching and rotating wing. J. Fluid Mech. 756, 354–383.
- Bross, M., Ozen, C. a. & Rockwell, D. 2013 Flow structure on a rotating wing: Effect of steady incident flow. Phys. Fluids 25.
- Rossin Doctoral Fellow, Lehigh University, Fall 2013. A highly selective fellowship given by Faculty of Engineering.
- Honored as an attendant to the Teacher Development Series at Lehigh University, Fall 2013
- RCEAS Fellowship, Mechanical Engineering & Mechanics, Lehigh University, 2010
- Inducted into Sigma Pi Sigma, National Physics Honor Society. Moravian College, 2010.
- American Physical Society (APS)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)